Friday, September 2, 2011

Judge Anne Workman

Judge Anne Workman, who served on the Board of Governors in Post 7 of the Stone Mountain Circuit, died Friday September 2. My boss, Chief Judge Wayne Purdom of DeKalb State Court, wrote the following in announcing her death to court personnel:

"Judge Anne Workman passed today. Most of you know she had a form of metastatic melanoma from her earlier announcement. Subsequent to her announcement, the cancer progressed much more rapidly than anticipated and all treatment proved to be ineffectual. She died peaceably.

"Anne served for decades in Juvenile, Magistrate, State (1985-98) and Superior Court (after 1998) and was an active senior judge until just a few months ago. She has been a mentor to countless attorneys and judges over those decades as well as playing a key leadership role in the bench and bar.

"On a personal note she was a close friend, an entertaining companion, and a mentor. She taught me a great deal about the art of judging. Her passing leaves a huge gap in our legal community, both here in DeKalb and statewide."

Judge Purdom says he believes there will be a memorial service at Glenn Memorial and that Judge Workman's body will be burried in her home state of North Carolina. However, plans are incomplete right now. I will post an update when I learn more information.

Meanwhile, here is what Judge Workman had to say when she informed DeKalb Bar members about her condition in July.

"TO MY FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES IN THE DEKALB BAR

"I have had some medical issues that I wish to share with you before word of my situation becomes more widely known and almost certainly distorted. I have loved working in the courthouse for decades, but we all know how easily facts get turned inside out in the courthouse rumor mill.

"In January, after having a mole removed from my back, I received a diagnosis of a skin lesion melanoma. Initially, after further testing, my doctors at Emory’s Winship Cancer Clinic thought that the disease was contained and that my chances at recurrence were low. However in May I felt some discomfort that led to the discovery of more generalized disease in my lungs which surprised both me and my doctors. My condition is one that is not curable, but it is treatable and manageable for a period of time. If after treatment the condition becomes a chronic one as occurs in some cases, then the period of time expands significantly. I am indeed quite fortunate that just this spring the FDA for the first time in twenty years has approved a new melanoma immune therapy and just this past month a gene-specific treatment for melanoma was released in clinical trials. I am told that these new treatments can have a very positive effect on life expectancy for melanoma patients.

"I want you to now that I am not fearful of this next stage in my life and I plan to meet this new challenge with strength and resolve. Because of my fatigue level and other side effects from the treatments I am not available by telephone. But I do have access through my county e-mail address and I welcome contact by e-mail. I shall provide updates on my progress periodically; but I do not expect to have any further news for at least two or three months.

"Thank you for the positive thoughts that I believe you will be sending my way. Please wish for me the strength and grace necessary for the battle I have ahead. Together we shall hope for the best outcome possible for me."





No comments:

Post a Comment